OOD Youth Leadership Forum: Northeast Ohio Session
Tuesday, June 20th through Friday, June 23rd, 2023
When: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Applications are closed.
We start next week!
Case Western Reserve Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences - except Wed. 21st which is at Pivot Center for Art, Dance & Expression
Are You a High School Junior or Senior with a Disability and Interested in Improving Your Self-Advocacy & Leadership Development?
Then the Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities’ week-long Ohio Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) is for you!
At YLF you will:
- Meet Ms. Wheelchair Ohio 2023!
- Learn about careers with Cleveland Builds & Employment Collaborative of Cuyahoga County.
- Tour and explore various assistive technologies courtesy of Cuyahoga
County Board of DD.
- Identify barriers to personal and professional success and develop plans to overcome those barriers.
- Meet Scott Fedor, author, speaker and advocate.
- Hear from YLF 2022 Alumni & OSU Pre-Med student, Mykenna Roy.
- Gain power to reach your goals through art with Community Arts Center and Parade the City, create a Leadership Poster with Future Ink Graphics, and join an accessible dance with Inlet Dance.
1. To be eligible for the Youth Leadership Forum, students must:
(a) have a disability;
(b) be, at minimum, in the 11th or 12th grade as of December 31, 2022;
(c) have demonstrated leadership potential in school and the community; and
(d) reside in Ohio.
2. Student applicants must mail or email the completed application packet no later than June 1, 2023. Please include an email contact if you have one. Applicants will receive communication (e.g., an email, phone call, etc.) confirming their application materials were received.
3. Semi-finalists will be selected and contacted by telephone to arrange a personal interview. The interviews will be conducted by a selection committee. Interviews will take place following the application deadline.
4. All applicants will be notified by phone with a follow-up letter on whether they are selected to attend the forum.
5. After being selected, students will be asked to fill out a confirmation form and provide additional information in order to attend the forum.
6. All appropriate expenses will be paid by the Youth Leadership Forum, including such expenses as food, interpreters for deaf students, and personal care attendants for students with physical disabilities.
Questions? Contact Cheryl Gorham at CGorham@leapinfo.org.